Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Morning

As I sit at my computer, I am looking out the window at the back two acres and all I see is blowing snow and black tree trunks. The sun is trying to shine through the snow clouds, but is only managing to make a bright glow.
We had a blizzard here last night, literally, and the first real one I have ever been old enough to encounter. It was amazing to see, and a little scary. On the radar last night you could see it headed toward us and there were reports of people already without power. It started as rain, turned to sleet, and then became snow around 5 or 6pm. I was hanging around the house with Ken and the girls and people were saying it was going to be bad, but I wasn't convinced.
Then around 7pm we decided to walk next door to watch a movie and the wind was so gusty and blowing snow everywhere already, and I thought, 'wow, that is some nasty wind'.
By 9 there was over 2 inches on the ground, and the wind was still howling, and I decided to go to bed.
It was hard to sleep though because you could hear the wind blowing and the city lights were reflecting off the snow clouds hanging so low, which created a bright orange glow that came through our closed blinds all night long.
I woke up around midnight to check on the baby and looked out the window to see the snow, and was shocked that I could barely see the road from our window.
Usually it is quite clear to see the road, even at night because of the big street lamps, but with the blowing snow, it was only an orange glow from the direction where the street was....eeek. Then I noticed that my husband was gone....double eeek, he works third shift, and so I felt sick knowing that he was driving out in this weather. So I found a flash light and kept it by my bed in case the power went out and my phone, in case my husband called, although thinking now, I don't know what I would have done to help him had he called.
But we made it thru the night. My husband made it home safe and sound, and slept maybe 2 hours in bed with me before he got up to start plowing the driveway.
We live on a hill, and so he hadn't been able to get the van back up the drive and had instead left it across the road, stuck. We also had guests planning to come early for Christmas morning for fluffy french toast and some games. Well, they are still not here and I can totally understand why. It is dreadful out, and not worth risking one's neck to come for french toast.
So I am sitting and drinking my coffee and looking out the window. In the background noise, I can hear my husband plowing the driveway with the tractor and my 8 week old snoring in her bassinet. What a merry Christmas, so peaceful, so beautiful and white.

Merry Christmas!

No comments: