Thursday, October 28, 2010

A Trip to Lowe's

Frequently these days, I load the girls up and drive to the prayer room only to find that the parking lot is full, all the side streets are full, and even the Herrnhut apartment complex across the way is full. Full of what - cars! No where to park, and I've learned that even if I am lucky enough to stalk someone to their parking place and nab it for myself, it doesn't mean I will be able to find a seat in the prayer room for me and my two babies.
Ugh, that was my reality this morning, and I already had Kinsey all excited about going to the prayer room, so I had to think fast.
Where can we go to burn some time and energy?
Why, Lowe's Home Improvement of course, and while we are there we can price some boards and sand for our new sandbox. It was a wonderful way to spend the morning. In fact, we cruised the curtain aisle, mirror aisle, lamps and lighting section, bird feeder wall, pots and grass seed section, and then on to the Christmas decor section.
Yes folks, they have the Christmas decorations out in mass already, and it was wonderful to walk through the aisles and see all the pretties! I came home ready to start digging in my own Christmas boxes and see what I have to put out, and then I realized, it isn't even November yet.
So in a glum mood, I went online and started looking at holiday decorating ideas on Better Homes & Gardens website, which was the wrong thing to do, but it did actually afford a solution.
Fall decor!
It is fall and that means warm rich yellows, oranges, and reds, which are some of my favorite colors. No money though. So I'm sure this idea popped in my head from heaven above to go outside to the street and pick up fall leaves to string across my mantle. It was a success! Kinsey helped me and had a blast, the cool weather made me feel better, and then we made a beautiful string of fall leaves that looks amazing!
Lord, you are so good as to provide such a beautiful maple tree in our neighbors yard, which has consequently blown leaves into our yard. Therefore, I had no feeling of stealing leaves, and yet we had an abundance. You are also such a creative Father, thanks for the ideas to sooth my decorating itch for the day. Amen. Oh, and thanks for giving me and my Kinsey a fun little task to do together.

2 comments:

Longing for the Day... said...

That's awesome! I would love to see a pic of your home-made decor. I bet it's beautiful, such a great idea. I am learning to love the simple life myself. =) -meli

lifeinthevillage said...

what fun! love it-