Saturday, March 9, 2013

The Law - Part 2


This is the second part of my previous post about the Old Testament Law, and what I feel like the Lord has revealed to me about it's purpose. My insight is certainly not unique, I have heard it from others before, but I also hear a lot of people saying that the Law is done away with. I disagree with that, and if you missed the first part, check it out here. Then, lets move on to part two. I ended last time with the question:

So am I saying we are still bound by the Law?

No.

I believe we are free from having to follow the letter of the law through the death of Jesus. Yet, we are also free, to express our love for the Lord by following the theme that was established by the law, which is to love the Lord your God, with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love our neighbors as ourselves. The Law shows us what is required to be pleasing to the Lord, in very great detail.

Yet we also have Holy Spirit now, which makes it so much easier to follow after the Lord in the way that He has called us to live. With the help of Holy Spirit, we now have a real chance of actually succeeding to some extent at living a life pleasing to the Lord.

Finally, my point in writing this is in defense of the Law as a good tool. The Lord did not make a bunch of rules so that when Jesus came, those rules would be worthless. They had a purpose back then, and they can still be useful now. I think after reading the Old Testament and seeing all that the Israelites went thru I can more fully appreciate the New Testament grace that comes through Christ, and also the value of Holy Spirit operating on our behalf.

Still, with the Holy Spirit opening my eyes, I no longer view the Old Testament as such a sad story. I always use to feel so bad for those Israelites. They were always messing up so bad, and the wrath of the Lord was always coming against them. But when I look at what the Lord offered them, and how they scorned that offer with their evil living, it is no wonder that a Holy God like Yahweh could not help but punish their wickedness.

When you read books like Hosea and Song of Solomon. You realize that the Lord was trying to woo His people Israel like a Bridegroom woos His bride. It really was all about love. Ever seen a wounded lover? It isn't always pretty. They would accept His offer of marriage (the covenant) again and again, but fail to be faithful, again and again. I feel more bad for the Lord. He always held up His end of the deal.

If I was the Lord I would have probably turned away from them completely, but He never did. Whenever they would repent, and come to the Lord for help, He would always hear from heaven and rescue them. We serve a truly loving, faithful, and merciful God. His mercies are new every morning. The Old Testament is as much a picture of that as the New Testament.

Thank you Lord, for all you are teaching me about Yourself, and Your ways. Help me to listen carefully to the instructions You offer me, because I want to live a life thats worthy of Your calling. Remove the things which hinder me from loving You because I don't want regret upon the day I stand before You. May I be found a pure and spotless bride (A Life thats Worthy by Misty Edwards).

No comments: